July 10, 2010

Toy Story 3 - Review

Toy Story 3 - ***1/2

It's a strange feeling I got when I realized that I had been awaiting a sequel as an adult to two movies that I saw in childhood. But the more I thought about it, the more I realized that if this had been a sequel to two movies by almost anyone else, I would've laughed it off as childhood nostalgia.

Toy Story 3 is the third and final chapter in the relationship that a group of toys have with their human owner. We've seen how a favourite toy deals with being shoved aside for a new number one, and we've seen toys deal with their own mortality. Oh, but not by dying. The idea of what makes these toys alive versus being dead or inanimate is never explored and any philosophical exercises about their existence is best left to philosophers (both expert and wanna-be ones).

And now the toys deal with a new change in status quo. Toy Story 3 picks up years after the second installment, where we realize that the toys have been living a neglected life ever since their owner, Andy, lost interest in toys and gained interest in more "mature" activities (note: the only thing I'm implying by "mature" is that it's a relative term. And nothing else). In fact, he's given away or sold most of his collection, leaving only most of the core group--a scene where Pixar show their mastery by mentioning that Bo Peep is gone, letting Woody have a quite moment. But what makes this time different? Andy's going to college, and is tasked with the ultimate fate of the toys: a) take to college, b) attic, c) daycare. Except for Woody (voiced by Tom Hanks), he puts them all in the attic. That is, until a mix-up with Andy's little sister that gets them almost thrown in the trash. The toys don't like this. They instead volunteer themselves to be donated to the daycare, despite Woody's insistence that it was a mix-up.

They arrive at the daycare, run by a big pink stuffed bear named Lotso (voiced by Ned Beatty) who fools them into believing it's a paradise. And it would be. Except for the fact that new toys (I'm tempted to call them "fresh meat," but this isn't strictly a prison flick) are forced to play with the younger kids who have no toy etiquette (I'm sure you've seen the scene in the trailer where a kid jams Mr. Potato Head's eye in his nose).

There are scenes reminiscent of The Great Escape, and the toys really do out-do themselves with the plans. The movie is clever (the jokes with Buzz's reset button are especially memorable), and the movie really works on even the most steel-hearted. I really doubt that anyone who's seen the first two will feel disappointed.

There's only one problem, and I'm going to admit that it may be a problem with me, and not the movie, but I'll say it anyway. After movies like Up, Pixar would have to work really--and I mean really-- hard to out-shine itself. Toy Story 3 does meet the barrier, but it doesn't quite break it. So this may be from raised expectations, and over time, I may end up liking this more than Up (I doubt that this'll get an Oscar nomination. Maybe, but I doubt it), but movies aren't made in a vacuum.

Nevertheless, this was a very touching movie and I'd say that the eleven-year wait was just about worth it. Now if only the Star Wars prequels would've worked out the same.

Oh, and I saw this in 3D. Don't see it in 3D. I'm pretty sure that if those stupid glasses weren't on and the distraction of depth wasn't there (seriously, why do you need to see a children's daycare in 3D?), my persistent cries to "man up" wouldn't have worked.

No comments:

Post a Comment